Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Native Tongue


Native Tongue - Yowl LP, 1983


This was a band from Boston, Massachusetts called Native Tongue that I think were really cool. It's not hard to see that Gang of Four were their main influence, but they were better than the herky-jerky types you hear nowadays (Franz Ferdinand ugh) and sometimes they even sound like the Fall, as on the infectious track "Ali". I found this record by accident in about 1995 while at the local college radio station. I taped it and had a great time listening to it on the way to class. They had an earlier self-titled EP from 1981 that I will probably post later. They also did the Christmas song "Do You Hear What I Hear" for a compilation of Boston bands entitled "Boston Rock Christmas".

This is their myspace page but as with all myspace pages, the sound is so awfully compressed. Yuck! Myspace is like the plastic of the internet, imho.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, never heard of these guys and this is pretty great. track 2 is awesome! looking forward to their other ep. great sounding rip too!

Bimble said...

Thank you! I ripped the EP this afternoon just for you. Too drunk right now to post it, but wait until tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I got sooo excited when I saw this posted and then bam! Link expired. Please repost.

Isn't BeHack... said...

Awesome..... Oh, please repost. Pretty please.

Isn't BeHack... said...

Awesome, please repost. Pretty please?

Bimble said...

Alright, I'll work on it. I have to rip it from vinyl again, though.